A lot is being said about “superfoods” these days. The steady stream of healthy-diet information overload is everywhere – on TV, at the supermarkets, and yes, of course, on the Internet.
So what exactly is a superfood? While there really is not a hard-fast definition, a superfood is considered to be any food that is especially rich in one or more nutrients that are essential for good health. Generally, the superfood buzz will be associated with any food that is packed with naturally occurring fiber, minerals, vitamins, or antioxidants.
At StockUpExpress, we are not food scientists. However, being grocery warehouse operators, we know a thing or two about food, so here is our favorite superfoods top-five list:
1. Sardines: Fished for centuries by many cultures, the little sardine is a nutrient-rich giant loaded with vitamin D, protein, and omeg-3 fatty acids. It is also quite versatile as a delicious snack right out of the can, as a garnish on a salad, or as a key ingredient in many dishes like a seafood marinara.
2. Tomato Sauce: Speaking of marinara, a rich tomato sauce provides a healthy dose of lycopene. Lycopene is a carotenoid that gives many vegetables – like tomatoes – their red color. Various studies have shown that lycopene may help to prevent heart disease, certain cancers, and premature skin aging.
3. Tea: Who knew that while you are sipping that relaxing cup of tea, you are also ingesting lots of flavonoids? Flavonoids are an antioxidant that found in certain plants, including tea leafs. This nutrient is best known for its anti-inflammatory health benefit and is also cited as helping to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
4. Lentils: If you are looking for a substitute for meat-based protein, the amazing lentil is a great choice. It is packed with protein as well as Vitamin B and fiber.
5. Flax Seed: Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, lignans, and fiber, flax seeds are easy to add to your diet. You can sprinkle some on your yogurt, add to your fruit smoothie, or add a tablespoon of milled flax seed to your favorite muffin recipe.