Irish Soda Bread Loaf
8 Servings • 8 Min. Prep Time • 40 Min. Cook Time • Great with stews or soups, or use as sandwich bread.
The time of year for everything green has arrived! Here is one of our favorite recipes for St. Patrick’s Day – Irish Soda Bread Loaf! Pairs well with corned beef and vegetables or use it to make a sandwich! Either way, it will keep you full while you’re searching for that pot of gold…
1. Sift the flour, salt, soda and cream of tartar into a bowl. Rub in the butter and add enough milk to make a soft dough.
2. Turn the mixture onto a floured board and knead lightly for 1 min. Shape into a round and place on a greased baking sheet. Mark with a cross, cutting almost to the base of the dough.
3. Bake at 425°F for 40-50 mins. until well risen, lightly browned and firm underneath.
* Note The baking soda and cream of tartar can be replaced by 4 tsps of baking powder.
* If soured milk or buttermilk is used instead of fresh milk reduce the cream of tartar to 2 tsp.
Calories: 241 Total Fat: 4g Total Carbs: 46g Fiber: 2g
**Recipe Courtesy of Flour Advisory Bureau