Canstruction is an international charity competition where architects, engineers, and students compete to design and build giant structures made entirely from full cans of food. The best part? ALL of the food is donated to local food banks once the competition ends! While Canstruction events take place all over the world, we’re taking a look back at our top 7 entries throughout the United States. Enjoy!
7. “Do You Like Apples?” by NV5 at Canstruction New York
The team over at NV5, a leading provider of professional & technical engineering & consulting solutions, arranged this giant apple where it remained on display at Brookfield Place New York.
6. “Food Can Space Man” by Benham, A Haskell Company, at Canstruction Oklahoma City.
Benham is an architecture, engineering, and design build firm with a very diverse client base: large and small, private and public. When their team took on the task of creating “Food Can Space Man,” they did not disappoint. The result: an out-of-this-world structure and a helping hand to those in need.
5. “Pizza Box” by Sanchez Brothers at Canstruction Long Beach
Food made out of food? Yes, please! This design was created by Sanchez Brothers in Long Beach, California. We want a slice!
4. Jack SkellingCAN by Pepper Construction at Canstruction Chicago
Pepper Construction teamed up with their partners. Stantec, Primera, USG and Lotte Advanced Materials to create this Nightmare Before Christmas themed structure. Jack SkellingCAN took over 6 hours and 5,000 cans to create. Now, that’s a big donation!
3. “Haunting Away Hunger’ by WDW Design & Engineering at Canstruction Orlando
You can’t have Jack without Sally! WDW Design & Engineering made Tim Burton’s character come to life in Orlando. All of the food pictured was then donated to Feed Hope Now.
2. “Winging It To End Hunger” by Leo A Daly at Canstruction Dallas
Leo A Daly has been creating innovative spaces and projects for over 100 years. It’s no wonder their team’s Canstruction structure went home with the “People’s Choice” title.
1. BatCAN: A Signal to End Hunger by DeSimone Engineers at Canstruction New York
DeSimone Engineers provides high-quality structural engineering, façade consulting, risk management and forensic services for all types of buildings. They can also clearly put together one awesome structure out of cans! This bat signal takes the prize as our #1 entry!