#StockUpStaples How To: Lemon Meringue Pie
1 Basic baked pie crust, cooled
1-1/2 Cup of Sugar
1/3 Cup of Cornstarch
1/4 Tsp. of Salt
1-1/2 Cup of Water
1/2 Cup of Fresh Lemon Juice
5 Egg Yolks, Well Beaten
2 Tbsp. of Butter
1-3 Tsp. Freshly Grated Lemon Peel
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/3 Cup of Cold Water
5 Egg Whites, Room Temperature
1/4 Tsp. Cream of Tartar
1/2 Cup of Sugar
1/2 Tsp. of Vanilla
1. Heat oven to 325°F.
2. Filling: Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in large heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Add egg yolks; stir until blended. Add butter.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring constantly, 1 min. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel; set aside.
4. Immediately make Meringue: Dissolve cornstarch in cold water in small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cover.
5. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, Add sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beating constantly, add cornstarch paste, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time. Beat in vanilla.
6. Pour hot filling into piecrust. Quickly spread meringue evenly over filling, starting at edge and sealing to crust all around; swirl with back of spoon. Bake in upper third of 325°F oven until lightly browned, 16 to 18 min. Cool on wire rack 30 min. to 1 hr.
Calories: 498 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 165mg Total Carbs: 76g Fiber: 1g Protein: 7g Sodium: 263mg